• 24 x 7 Support
  • Certified Travel Agent
  • +977-9851187689
  • Contact Us
  • Blog

bhaktapur

overview

Bhaktapur (Nepali: भक्तपुर) Bhaktapur  precisely  translates to Place of devotees. Also known as Bhadgaon or Khwopa (Newar: ख्वप Khwopa), it is an antique Newar city in the east corner of the kathmandu valley, Nepal  about 8 miles (13 km) from the capital city, kathmandu. It is placed in Bhaktapur in the Bagmati Zone.

Bhaktapur was the biggest of the three Newar kingdoms of the Kathmandu Valley, and was the capital of Nepal during the great 'Malla Kingdom' until the second half of the 15th century. Today it is the third biggest city in the Kathmandu Valley, with a population of more than 80,000, of which the vast superiority are still Newars. Historically more confined  than the other two kingdoms, Kathmandu and Patan, Bhaktapur has a distinctly particular form of Nepal Bhasa language.

Bhaktapur has the good conserved palace courtyards and old city center in Nepal, and is listed as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO for its rich culture, temples, and wood, metal and stone artworks. This is  promoted by the restoration and preservation efforts of German-funded Bhaktapur Development Project (BDP).

The city is popular for special type of curd  called "Ju Ju(king) dhau(curd). It is accomplished by the curd makers that the taste of curd adjusted in this location cannot be found elsewhere all over Nepal

 

Etymology

KHWOPA is the remote  name of Bhaktapur. The term "Bhaktapur" (Sanskrit /Nepali: भक्तपुर)  attribute to "The City Of Devotees".  "Kh0apa" actually refers to the masks which are conceivec to have been worn by gods and goddesses. Bhaktapur is popular for different forms of mask dances based on lives of different deities..

 

History

It is the home of classical art and architecture, historical headstone and craft works, magnificent windows, pottery and weaving industries, magnificent temples, beautiful ponds, rich local customs, culture, religion, festivals, musical mystic and so on. Bhaktapur is still an unmoved as well as preserved ancient city that is itself a world to explore for tourists.

From time archaic  it lay on the trade route between Tibet and India. This position on the major caravan route made the town rich and prosperous.

Demographics

At the time of the 2001 Nepal census it had a population of 72,543. The male incumbent of this city wear a especial type of cap called the Bhadgaunle Topi.

 

Layaku (Durbar Square)

Bhaktapur Durbar Square  is a conglomeration of pagoda and shikhara-style temples , mostly committed to Hindu  gods and goddesses grouped around a 55-window palace of brick and wood. The square is one of the mostengrossing  architectural showpieces of the valley as it highlights the remote  arts of Nepal. The golden effigies of the kings lighted on the top of stone monoliths, the guardian deities looking out from their sanctuaries, the wood  painting in every place — struts, lintels, uprights, tympanums, gateways and windows — all seem to form a well-arranged symphony.

The royal palace was basically established  at Dattaraya square and was only later  lifted to the Durbar square location. The square in Bhaktapur was severely impaired by an earthquake in 1934 and hence develop more spacious than the ones at Kathmandu  and Patan

 

Nyatapola Temple

Nyatapola Temple' is a 5-story pagoda  placed  in Bhaktapur, Nepal . The temple was elevated by Nepali King Bhupatindra Malla during a 5-month period from late 1701 into 1702. It is the temple of Siddha Laxmi, the Hindu goddess of victory .

Bhairab Nath Temple

This is another pagoda temple of lord Bhairab , the dreadful attitude of Lord Shiva . It stands near the Nyatapola temple and was originally composed by King Jagat Jyoti Malla on a modest scale. It was later remaked  by King Bhupatindra Malla, a earnest lover of the arts, into what it is now a three-storied temple.

Dattatraya Temple

The temple of Dattatraya is as old as the Palace of Fifty-five Windows.  Sanctified by King Yakshya Malla in 1427 AD, this temple, according to famous belief, was built out of the trunk of a single tree. It was consequently restored and renovated by King Vishwa Malla in 1458 AD.

Just beside temple is a lamasery(Math) with exquisitely chiseled peacock windows. These popular windows were carved during the reign of King Vishwa Malla. The monastery is full of artistic facades of latticed windows and embossed columns.

Changu Narayan

Changu Narayan  is an remote Hindu temple placed near the village of Changunarayan  in the Kathmandu Valley on top of a hill at the eastern end of the valley. It is 6 kilometres (3.7 mi) to the north of Bhakathapur and 22 kilometres (14 mi) from Kathmandu. The temple is one of the oldest Hindu temples of the valley, and is trust to have been constituted first in the 4th century. Changu Narayan is the name of Vishnu , and the temple is devoted to him. A stone slab disclosed in the vicinity of the temple dates to the 5th century, and is the oldest such stone inscription exposed  in Nepal. It was rebuilt after the old temple was desolated Many stone sculptures here date to the Licchavi period. Changu Narayan Temple is listed by UNESCO  as a World Heritage Site.

The temple is a double-roofed architecture where the idol of Lord Vishnu  in his incarnation as Narayana  is deified. The exquisitely built temple has tangled roof struts showing multi-armed Tantric deities. A kneeling image of Garuda  (dated to the 5th century), the vahana or vehicle of Vishnu with a snake around its neck, faces the temple. The gilded door depicts stone lions guarding the temple. Gilded windows also flank the door. A conch and a disc, symbols of Vishnu , are carved on the two pillars at the entrance. Non-Hindus are not granted inside the temple.

Ta Pukhu (Siddha Pokhari)

Ta Pukhu (Siddha Pokhari) is a large rectangular water pond near the major city gate. It was built during the reign of King Yakshya Malla in the early 15th century and is  correlated with a number of myths. From this spot a wide range of snowy peaks are detectable clear days.

Kailashnath Mahadev Statue

Kailashnath Mahadev is the World's Tallest Lord Shiva  image. The height of this statue is 143 feet high and is placed 20 km from Kathmandu, epal.The statues construction work was started in 2004 and was finished in 2012.The statue's inauguration took place on the 21st of June'12. This statue beliefs on the 32nd position in the list of all statues by height in the whole world. It has been made of copper, cement, zinc, and steel. To make this gigantic structure possible there were many professional workers and statue makers from India

 

Geography and Climate

Climate Zone 

Elevation Range

 % of Area

Subtropical

1,000 to 2,000 meters
3,300 to 6,600 ft.

99.4%

Temperate

2,000 to 3,000 meters
6,400 to 9,800 ft.

 0.6%

We Are Assosiated With